Apple TV 4K is the latest iteration of the hardware that Apple has introduced. Prior to this, Apple TV 4 came with USB-C port that was used to connect it to Macs. However, Apple has revoked USB-C port in its latest Apple TV which means if you want to connect the new Apple TV to Mac or Xcode, you will have to do that wirelessly. To be fortunate, the wireless connection functionality is possible with the Xcode 9 software or later. The method works fine with Apple TV 4 as well and if you’re not too receptive to the idea of using cables to connect the devices then you can do that on the previous generation hardware as well.
So, if you want to connect Apple TV 4 or Apple TV 4K to Xcode on your Mac for sideloading apps, app development, diagnostics or something else for that matter, here is how you can do it.
- First of all, you will have to download Xcode’s latest version on your Mac and install it. The software is available for free on the Mac App Store. Keep it in mind that you will need to have Xcode 9 or later on your macOS 10.12.4 or above to make sure that it all goes as you expect. Once the setup is ready, follow below instructions to establish a wireless connection.
- Update your tvOS on to tvOS 11 which is the latest version right now.
- Now on your Apple TV, go to Settings > Remotes & Devices and then Remote App & Devices. Keep it there.
- Launch Xcode on your Mac and navigate to Window> Devices & Simulators in menu bar that you can see on the top.
- Now, if the Apple TV and Mac are close enough, you will be able to see a message asking you to Pair with the Apple TV.
- Click “Pair with [Name of Your Apple TV]” button.
- You will now see verification code on the display of your Apple TV.Just type that in the Xcode for completing the process of pairing your devices.
Your Mac will now show up in the Remote App & Devices screen on your Apple TV. The Apple TV will also show up now on the Devices & Simulators window of Xcode.
That’s all! Both the devices are now connected wirelessly to each other. You can now start deploying apps, perform diagnostics, and even sideloadapps to your Apple TV