The latest addition to Apple’s arsenal, iOS 12 has really made the biggest headlines this week. Now that it’s finally here, we have come up with a complete guide on how you can install it on your compatible iOS device through iTunes. Following the steps given here will have you a fresh, clean, and stock iOS version installed on your device.
It’s been quite a few months since we have had iOS 12 beta updates and now that it is available to general public as an official iOS upgrade, you can grab your copy and start interacting with all the great features that it has to offer. So, let’s just not waste any time and get directly into how you can install it on your primary device.
Note: Remember that once you will run through the steps given below, it will completely wipe away your device and remove everything that you may have on it. So, it is advisable that before you go for the upgrade, create a complete iTunes Backup or iCloud Backup of your device and then start with the steps below.
- First of all, install latest iTunes version on your Mac or PC if you haven’t got one already.
- Secondly, you must have already downloaded the right IPSW link to download iOS 12 version compatible with your iOS device.
- Once you have downloaded the IPSW links, do some maintenance on your iOS device before proceeding further. For this, go to Settings and then iCloud before choosing the Find My iPhone option. Here ensure that you have this toggle switched off and the feature is disabled.
- Next, connect the iOS device on which you have to do a clean install to your Mac or PC with the help of Lightning cable. Most probably, it will launch iTunes automatically. However, if that’s not the case, you should better perform a manual launch. Here ensure that you have selected the connected iOS device from iTunes interface.
- Now you will have to perform manual restore rather than doing it automatically. For this you will have to press and hold Shift key on your Windows PC, or Alt key on your Mac, and then click that ‘Restore iPhone’ button. As soon as you do that, you will be prompted by iTunes to choose a particular firmware file for installation on your iOS device and a dialogue window will open up on your computer.
- Here, you will just have to select the right IPSW file that you had downloaded in the above steps so that the iTunes kicks start the process of restoring the firmware file automatically.
A clean installation of iOS 12 will now be performed on your selected hardware. Just let it continue and don’t interrupt before it gets completed. Voila! You have upgraded to the latest iOS version. Start exploring it now and enjoy all the latest features.