When you find yourself in an unfortunate situation where your iPhone gets stuck in DFU mode or recovery mode or is disabled because you have entered wrong passcode quite a few times, you’ll have to factory resent that device using iTunes in order for it to work again. But sometimes, as it happens, iTunes doesn’t even seem to work and you have to look forward to other options that you can try. Well, here we have described how to iPhone restore without iTunes and what options do you have in this regard.
Note: It is important to mention here that iPhones don’t come with any explicit Restore button in settings and only below mentioned options can work without iTunes for iPhone restore.
Jump To Section
- How To iPhone Restore Without iTunes – Hard Reset Option
- How To iPhone Restore Without iTunes – Factory Reset Option
- How To iPhone Restore Without iTunes – Third Party Tools Option
How To iPhone Restore Without iTunes – Hard Reset Option
You can hard reset your iPhone for restoring it without iTunes. Here are the steps to follow.
If you have iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus:
- Press Sleep/Wake button alongside Volume Down button together on your iPhone and hold it there for 10 seconds at least.
- As soon as Apple logo shows up, you can simply release the buttons.
- Your iPhone will reboot and you will have to wait until you see home screen of your device.
If you have iPhone models other than the ones mentioned above:
- Press Home and Sleep/Wake buttons together and hold them until the logo of Apple appears on your iPhone screen.
- Release buttons once the logo shows up.
- Your iPhone will reboot and the iPhone restore will be completed.
How To iPhone Restore Without iTunes – Factory Reset Option
It is another quick option that you can try for iPhone restore without iTunes. You won’t have to connect to your computer until you have to sync all your data. Here are the steps that you will have to follow for factory resetting your iPhone.
- Go to Settings on your iPhone
- Open General tab and select Reset option
- You’ll find an option labeled “Erase All Content & Settings”, select it
- Tap “Erase iPhone” after providing your device’s password
However, it is important that before you go for the factory reset option, you should back up the device and save all your important stuff on a computer as the factory reset process will delete all your data and files that you might have saved on your device.
How To iPhone Restore Without iTunes – Third Party Tools Option
To be fortunate, there are some handy third party tools available that allow you to system restore your iPhone without any need of iTunes. One reliable name in this regard is FonePaw system recovery. It allows you to factory reset a locked iPhone device without any need of passcode. It also lets you to restore an iPhone that is stuck at DFU mode or recovery mode. Besides, FonePaw lets you to fix your iPhone if it is in a boot loop and is frozen status.
So, here are the steps that you need to follow to be able to restore iPhone without iTunes.
- You should first download the iOS system recovery on your PC or Mac by clicking download button under get iOS System Recovery For PC/Mac. After that, launch it and click “More Tools” and select “iOS System Recovery”.
- Now connect your disabled/frozen iPhone to your computer. If the device is in the recovery mode, the software will detect abnormal state of your device and you will only have to click on Confirm for proceeding further. And, if the phone has been disabled then you’ll need to click on Advanced Mode for taking it further.
- If you’ve clicked Advanced Mode then you will have to follow system instructions for activating the DFU mode on your device. But if you did otherwisethen you will have to skip to the next step.
- Next, you will have to provide information about your device like confirming the name of the device and its model number. It is important to ensure that you provide the most accurate information about your problematic iPhone to fix things up.
- Now, click on Repair and the software will start downloading appropriate firmware as per your provided information and the process of your iPhone restore will be initiated.
- Once the setup finishes, your iPhone is restored.
It is important to mention here that if you opt for restoring a disabled iPhone through Advanced Mode then all the data on the device will be erased and your device will be just like a newly bought one after the restore. Your data will not be disturbed at all if you take your device out of the recovery mode, however.
So, that’s all about how to iPhone restore without iTunes. You can choose any of the three methods mentioned above as you find appropriate.